Tuesday, March 31, 2009

DRACULA cover progressions

Nope, not to the upcoming big illustrated novel of it, but a little foretaste of it. One of those "do your own covers" which I really get a kick out of. Just so nice to do a random illo on an actual book sometimes. Great to take a break on from the pressures of the regular work.

DRACULA cover

Here's basically how it went, from start to finish. If you like the end result, I put the final book up on ebay. I dig doing these book things but have no desire to just keep it to myself. Figure there's someone out there who'd probably like a Drac cover by me so... see the listing here.

DRACULA in progress...
Sketchy sketchy.
DRACULA in progress...
Inking with a fine artline pen. A 0.1 basically.
DRACULA in progress...
Filling in the blacks. When in doubt, black it out.
DRACULA in progress...
a bit of black watercolour. Some drips for the background. General washy-ness.
DRACULA in progress...
White pen time. Just a little.
DRACULA in progress...
Finally a dash of red for the eyes and title.
DRACULA in progress...
And another little doodle in the front of the book just because.
DRACULA in progress...

DRACULA in progress...

3 comments:

Anthony Duncan said...

Sweet Ben! I usually go through about 40 sketches before I can commit to finishing any of my pieces.

BTW, got my autographed copy of Wormwood yesterday. The ladies are knocking themselves over to talk to me today!

michael a. gonzales said...

the prince of darkness never looked cooler...

smoky man said...

well done Ben!

A big ciao from Italy,
I hope you remember me ;)

smoky man!