Thursday, August 27, 2009
Step by Step Art. G.I. Joe Baroness One-shot! In February...
Come February, there should be a GI Joe Baroness One-shot out from IDW Publishing. I'm drawing it! ( No not a movie one, from the comics stuff, which I obviously much prefer ) Finally got the ok so I don't feel naughty showing a bit of how the cover ( or one of them ) went...
Started off with a basic line drawing I did up, regular size so I can get more of a handle on it. I then blew it up & transposed it to a large toned sheet of Reeves paper.
Lots of painting. Ink, acrylic, some charcoal too I think . I kinda forgot to take many photos during this whole part of the process. Sorry! Here it is, basically finished before the computer work.
A closer pic.
I wrote a comment for this one twice already actually, but it's been failing to load so I keep losing it.
Suffice to say, here's the basic scan, just with a little hint of a photo mouth and nose ( from a bunch I keep on file ) plus a little airbrushing to flesh out and add a little realism to the faces. I do that often.
Next up I just go about darkening and lighting the image via some dodge and burn. Apart from anything it brings out the natural painty texture stuff I have going on in the original. I also drop an overlay of an old photo I took of a concrete floor, since I like the crack lines it has.
This was my first final in colours. I work tonally pretty much, and blend everything in in stages. Kind of a big fan of coloured lighting that gives hues to everything.
Only, uh, problem was...I accidentally saved over the image as a jpeg only. Not really the best if you want to go to print...so I had to redo it...in the next image. This one is lost to the ether!
The err..."final" final... I couldn't replicate the initial colours I cam up with...but I don't mind this one either. A bit warmer, probably stand out on a shelf a little more perhaps.